Obituaries from the
"Hamilton County News"

Reprinted with permission from the
Hamilton County News!
Transcribed by Annie Weaver

Note: These obits were reprinted in the newspaper in the 1970s and are taken from the later papers.

David Arsenault, 19, died unexpectedly on Jan. 23, 1977. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Arsenault, brother of Michael, Joseph and Gregory of Indian Lake, his grandfather Frank Philo of Arizona, five aunts, five uncles and a niece. A Mass of the Resurrection was held at noon with Monsignor Francis Devan. David was a student at Wadhams Hall Seminary in Ogdensburg and many of his fellow seminarians assisted at Mass.

A Mass of Resurrection was held Tuesday, January 1977, at St. Mary's Catholic Church for Julie Arsenault; two year old daughter of Michael and Marie Arsenault. Besides her parents, a sister [private], her grandparents, Mr. And Mrs. Gerald Arsenault of Indian Lake, and Mr. And Mrs. Forrest LaMay of Long Lake, a great grandfather, Frank Philo of Arizona, and aunt and uncles. The family suggest contributions be made in the form of memorials to Indian Lake Rescue Squad.

Miss Clara Octavia Bryere, 84, of Glens Falls, died Jan. 10, 1977 at the Glens Falls Hospital. Miss Bryere was born at Raquette Lake on March 11, 1892. She was the daughter of J. O. A. and Mary Agnes Gooley Bryere. She graduated from Utica Free Academy in 1908 and from Roosevelt Hospital School of Nursing, New York City, in 1912. She joined the Army Nurse Corp and served with General Pershing's headquarters nurses at Chaumont, France.
    After years of nursing in New York City, Miss Bryere returned in 1952 to help her family to running Brightside-on-Raquette, the family hotel. She is survived by a sister, Mrs. Kathleen Grant of Glens Falls and several nieces and nephews. Interment was in St. Agnes Cemetery, Utica.

Mrs. Mary Clouthier, a life-long resident of Speculator-Lake Pleasant area, died at the age of 79 in the Ellis Hospital at Schenectady in the evening of Jan. 6, 1977. Mrs. Clouthier had been a patient at the hospital since Nov. 24. She was born on June 1, 1897 in Speculator, the daughter of Abram and Sarah Page Lawrence, and attended school in the village. She was of protestant faith.
    On June 1, 1922. She was married to Jasper Clouthier, who died in 1971. Mrs. Clouthier was known as an active sportswoman and was especially interested in both hunting and fishing. Survivors include one son, Paul Clouthier of Rotterdam Junction, a daughter, Mrs. [private] of Speculator, six grandchildren, one great grandchild and several nieces, nephews and cousins.

James A. Deering, 79, a resident of Northville, died Jan. 8, 1977. He had been a patient at the Nathan Littaur Hospital since Nov. 18, 1976. Mr. Deering had been in failing health for the past 4 years. He was born Feb. 2, 1897 in East Machias, Maine, the son of Edward and Mary Durgan Deering. He attended schools in Maine.
    He came to this area in 1938, living in Gloversville and then the Village of Northville. On June 8, 1925 he was married to the former Dulcina Leveille, who survives at home. They were married in Old Town, Maine. He was employed as A Glove Cutter for the former Serfis Glove Company of Northville since moving to the area. He retired around 1965.
    He was a member a member of St. Francis Roman Catholic Church in Northville; a 50-year member of the Knights of Columbus; an honorary member of Knights of Columbus Council 265, Gloversville. A member of the 3rd order of St. Francis and a trustee of St. Francis Church for many years. Survivors include his wife at home; a son, [private], Rutland, Vt.; 4 grandchildren and several cousins. Interment took place in the Prospect Hill Cemetery, Northville.

Word had been received of the death of Leo R. Zelinka, 84, of Mamaroneck, on Jan. 8, 1977. He was a retired stone setter in the jewelry business. Mr. Zelinka resided several years in Indian Lake before moving to Mamoroneck. He is survived by his wife, Julia Machen Zalinka, a son Edward and stepdaughter Mrs. Warren Fereith, also of Mamoroneck.


Last Updated: Wednesday, 14-May-2008 13:14:28 PDT
Copyright © 1954 - 2008; Hamilton County News