Robert G. Moore
77 Metcalfe Street
St Thomas Ontario N5R 3K6
ANNATJE (NANCY) EGLIN AVERY #1.5
John Eglin and Catherine Dods
17 July 1798 in the Town of Amsterdam, now Fulton County, then Montgomery County (Ref. family history) Baptized 31 September 1798 at First Dutch Reform Church at Schenectady Her only sponsor was Annatje Van Vegten (Vechen) etc Annatje Van Vegten was born 17 April 1757 at Athens Greene County N.Y.and married Dirk (Richard) Schermerhorn about 1778 Richard was born 1755 and was the son of Ryer Shermerhorn born 1716. Reyer's father was Jan Ryers Scheremhorn
Jan Ryer was also the father of Catalynte Schermerhorn who married John Dods, grandfather of Catherine Dods Eglin. Thus Annatje Van Vegten was Catherine Eglins father's first cousin wife. (complicated YES!)
About 1817-8 to Alanson Avery likely in the Town of Benson, Hamilton County New York although
no records have been found.. Her grand daughter Katherine Moore Marin gave a date of marriage of 1815 on her application for admission to the "Daughters of the American Revolution" Society.
6 April 1874 in Ingersoll, Oxford County, Ontario where Alanson had retired to from his farm in West Zorra Township, Oxford County (Vital Record Ontario number 8269/74 gave the cause of death was given as billious fever, duration 2 weeks.)
Her funeral notice read as follows
In Ingersoll on the 6th Inst. Mrs Nancy Avery, wife of Allanson Avery in the 76th year of her age
Will take place to-morrow (Wednesday) afternoon from her late residence, North of the River at two o'clock. The body will be taken to the Baptist Church where a sermon will be preached, thence will proceed to the Cemetery (Ingersoll Rural) Ingersoll April 7, 1874
with Alanson in Ingersoll Rural Cemetery, Ingersoll Lot 12 Section F. The gravestone is a mottled brown granite with inscriptions with a cylindrical 6 foot top, all sitting on a concrete base with word "Avery" formed into it
OUR PARENTS HERE LIE UNDERGROUND
THE DEAREST FRIENDS WE EVER FOUND
BUT THROUGH THE LORD'S UNBOUNDED LOVE
WE HOPE TO MET IN REALMS ABOVE
GAC denotes "Groton Avery Clan" by Elroy Avery and Catharine Avery published in 2 volumes in Cleveland in 1912 and reprinted by Higginson of Boston.
#2.5.1 Eliza Avery born prior to 1819, in New York State likely present day Fulton or Hamilton counties. She came to Ontario with her parents and died after about 1821 but before 1838 when
Eliza Lucinda child #12 was born, She had no known children (I, RGM, believe she likely died "young") (The Eliza Ann Avery buried in the Newark Cemetery Lot 22 Concession 5 North Norwich Township Oxford County is not "our Eliza" but one of the family of Orin Avery of Norwich who was a distant cousin of Alanson Avery)
#2.5.2 * John Eglin Avery born 7 February 1819 in the Town of Johnstown, Fulton County
New York.(Ref GAC) He married Hannah O'Donnell at Woodstock Ont. He died 24 March 1901 and was buried in Carsonville Cemetery, Washington Township, Sanilac County Michigan.
They had 2 children, neither of whom had children.
#2.5.3 * Alanson Avery born 31 May 1821 "en route" to Zorra Township. He was a Civil War Veteran (GAR) having served with the Missouri Engineers. He farmed in Kansas after the war.
He died 3 November 1912 at Croswell, Sanilac County Michigan and was buried Croswell Cemetery.
He may or may not have been married. There were no known children.
#2.5.4 * Silas Wood Avery born 23 September 1823 in West Zorra Township.
He married Mary Jane Molaskey and had 8 children. He lived in Brantford Township, Brant County, Ontario. He died 11 June 1898 and was buried in Greenwood Cemetery on West Street, Brantford.
#2.5.5 * Mary Jane Avery born about 1825 in West Zorra Township married Archibald McKellar lived in North Oxford Township Oxford County and had 7 children. She died 7 June 1893 in
North Oxford Township, and was buried Ingersoll Rural Cemetery, Ingersoll Ontario
#2.5.6 * Cornelius Avery born 1 November 1827 in West Zorra Township He married Eleanor Judge in East Nissouri Township, Oxford County and had 3 children. He died 23 December 1861 near St Mary's, Perth County Ontario. It is still not known where he was buried.
#2.5.7 * Orin Avery born 15 November 1829 in West Zorra Township. He married Catherine Campbell and had 2 children. He lived in Sanilac Township, Sanilac County Michigan and died at Croswell, Sanilac County on 31 August 1930, age 100 and was buried Croswell Cemetery.
#2.5.8 * Catherine Avery born 17 November 1830 West Zorra Township. She married February 1850 at Zorra to Robert James Moore, a Loyalist descendant, the son of James Moore and Rachel Holder, from Long Reach, Kings County, New Brunswick. They had 10 children. The family moved to Gladwin County Michigan in 1879. Catherine homesteaded in Idaho in 1903 after Robert died October 1899 at Gladwin. She died 20 February 1928, age 98 at Spokane Washington and was buried Highland Cemetery Gladwin with her husband. (Catherine Avery Moore was the great grandmother of Robert G. Moore through her son James Robert Moore 1855-1938 and grandson Murray Marr Moore 1896-1965)
For more info on this family see Folder F of this CD file "Robert James Moore"or contact
Robert G Moore email email@example.com
#2.5.9 * Charles "Henry" Avery born 9 June 1833 in West Zorra Township. He married Sarah Elizabeth Rodgers of Lambton County Ontario and moved to Sanilac County and later moved to Butman Township Gladwin County Michigan. They had 13 children. He died 23 February 1897 in Butman Township and was buried in Butman Cemetery, no G/S marker.
#2.5.10 Thomas E. Avery born 1834 in West Zorra Township and died West Zorra 18 June 1848 when kicked by a horse. (Ref Crawford Diaries). He was buried in plot 3A Embro Pioneer Cemetery Lot 11 Concession 4 West Zorra Township just West of Oxford County Road 6. G/S Marker reads
"In memory of Thomas E. Avery who died June 18 1848 age 13 years 8 mos and 26 days"
#2.5.11 William M. Avery born 1835 in West Zorra Township. He was shown as a lunatic in 1851 West Zorra Census. He was not "at home" for the 1861 West Zorra census. (Location U/K).
He died 23 August 1864 and is buried Ingersoll Rural Cemetery in "Potters Field". No Gravestone
#2.5.12 * Eliza Lucinda Avery born 1839 in West Zorra Township. She married Lemuel B. Stevens.
They had 3 perhaps 4 children. She died after 1912 perhaps at Chicago Il.
#2.5.13 * Daniel Stoddard Avery born 26 April 1841 in West Zorra Township.
He married Mary A. Scott, 2 children. He died Worth Township, Sanilac County 21 August 1880 of consumption (T.B.)
For continuation of the children marked * contact Robert Moore email firstname.lastname@example.org
Alanson Avery was the eldest child of Frederick Avery and Elizabeth Stoddard and was born 30 November 1791 at Groton Conn. He was numbered 891 in the "Groton Avery Clan" .
Alanson moved with his parents from Connecticut to the Town of Broadalbin, Fulton County (then Montgomery County) New York State when he was about 10 years old. His son Orin Avery stated in the Croswell, Sanilac County Michigan newspaper of November 1924 that his father Alanson had fought against the British during the War of 1812. (He would have been 21/23 years old) (no other records yet found)
It is likely that Alanson moved to the present Town of Benson in Hamilton County. (Then the Benson Tract of the Town of Mayfield, Montgomery County) prior to his marriage to Nancy Eglin, likely looking for work in the lumber industry which was in its infancy as subsistence farming was more the order of the day in the Benson Tract.
Alanson did not own land in Benson nor in the Town of Broadalbin. The Groton Avery Clan (page 438) states that Alanson was a farmer and moved to Ontario from Benson (Tract) New York.
The GAC also states that Alanson's son, John was born in the Town of Johnstown, Fulton County (then Montgomery County) in 1819 so Alanson may have had short stay there before moving to Oxford County Ontario, likely about June 1821.
The Averys settled on the West ½ of Lot 2 Concession 4 in West Zorra, likely purchasing the property at the same time or shortly after they arrived in Zorra. The farm is now part the Lafarge Cement Plant on the Governors Road (former Kings Highway #2 now Oxford County Road).
The central part of the Erie Canal in New York State had been completed between Utica and Rome in the fall of 1819 and thus river and canal transportation was available from the Fonda area on the Mohawk River to Oswego on Lake Ontario. Lake boats ran service across Lake Ontario to ports in Ontario on the Bay of Quinte, Coburg, Port Hope, Toronto etc.
It is difficult to pinpoint the place of birth of Alanson Jr but perhaps on a lake boat between Oswego and the Bay of Quinte area or at some port on the Bay of Quinte such as Picton. It is likely that the laker boat service was used as far as possible likely to Hamilton and then over land to Brantford and then via the Old Stage Road through Burford to Woodstock as this road was in use by 1812 from Brantford to the Governor's Road west of Woodstock. There is also a possibility that they may have traveled westerly from the Mohawk River area on the Mohawk Trail to Buffalo This trail had been in existence from the early 1800's and its location was closely followed by the Erie Canal and the New York State Thruway .
Early settlement was confined to the townline area between the Townships of North Oxford and Zorra of Oxford and in 1820 there were only 2500 people in Brock District which included present Oxford County and Burford and Oakland Townships of present day Brant County. The population in Zorra Township had increased by 1822 to the required 30 inhabitants (Likely men only) which allowed the inhabitants to hold a "town meeting". No doubt Alanson Avery was one of those inhabitants.
It is believed that Alanson came to Oxford County for better farm land as the farming in the Benson Tract was less than marginal. It appears that he moved "alone" as no neighbours or relatives moved to Oxford in the same time frame. (Although there was a distant cousin Orin Avery living at Norwich some 20 miles away).
Although Alanson likely purchased the West ½ of Lot 2 Concession 4 shortly after 1821 when he came to Oxford, he did not receive the memorial of the deed to the property from George H. Park of Dundas until November 1835 and it was not recorded in the land registry office until January 1836.
The consideration for the property was 30 pounds. One of the witnesses to the memorial was George W. Holder who had "come up" from New Brunswick and was the son of Loyalist Jacob Holder of Long Reach, Kings County New Brunswick
George was an uncle to Alanson's future son-in-law Robert James Moore (who married Catherine Avery). In those days it was fairly common practice not to provide a deed until the property was fully paid for.
For some unknown reason, Alanson was not listed in the 1824 assessment of Zorra (although he may have been regarded as tenant as his land was not completely paid for). He was listed however in the 1826 assessment of Zorra at 30 pounds and 8 shillings having 8 acres cultivated, 92 acres uncultivated, 1 milch cow and 1 horned cattle. In 1824 there were 36 voters in Zorra (East and West) and 450 in whole County of Oxford (You had to be a male property owner to be a voter)
Alanson was listed as a member of the First Regiment of the Oxford County Militia in 1828 and 1829 being in the Company of Captain R. Always. This company appears to have been raised in the Zorra Township area. Alanson is listed as a private, age 35. All residents between the ages of 19 and 39 were required to be part of local militias and were required to parade once a year (usually late May or June after the spring crops were planted). The British authorities still felt that there might be the threat of an invasion from the United States. (It was rather ironic that considering that perhaps 25-30 % of population had come into Ontario from the United States after the conclusion of the War of 1812). The powers that be, decided that they need a enumerated list of the militia in 1828/9 and thus we have a reasonable census of the male inhabitants of Ontario of that era (in Alanson's case complete with age).
Alanson appeared before the London District Quarter Court of the Peace Session (called that as they meet four times yearly and acted as a court for minor crimes, tavern licences etc) on 12 October 1832 as witness in a charge against a "John Talbot" for assault and trespass.. Alanson was one of five witnesses to appear before the Court. (appears that Talbot was found guilty and fined Fifty Pounds)
The first country wide census did not occur until early 1842 and was then only the heads of households. (The 1842 census of Zorra Township or any part of Oxford County however does not exist so the first census listing Alanson and his family is the 1851 census)
Within several years Nancy Eglin Avery's brothers Thomas and Cornelius Eglin moved to East Zorra Township in Oxford County, though they did not stay long. Cornelius Eglin married about 1830 to Margaret Ann (Peggy) Dolson and had at least 9 children. By 1850, he moved from Zorra to Center Township Porter County Indiana. It appears that Thomas returned to Hamilton County, New York. several times for varying periods of time between 1836 and 1848.
By 1838 Brock District (Oxford County) was separated from London District although Brock still contained Burford and Oakland Townships of present day Brant County. In 1844, Alanson was one of the residents of West Zorra that signed the petition that asked for a new election after the election of Robert Riddell for a member of parliament in the Brock District was contested.
Alanson purchased the East ½ of Lot 1 Concession 3 West Zorra (100 acres) from Robert Nixon and his wife in October 1848 (recorded in November 1860). In 1850 he purchased the adjoining 20 acres of the West ½ of Lot 1 as well. (also recorded in 1860). In 1850 Alanson was assessed at 11 pounds for Lot 2 Concession 4 and at 165 pounds 16 shillings for Lot 1 Concession 3. Alanson had moved his main farming operation to Lot 1 Concession 3 as it was better farming ground.
In the 1851 Census of the Township of West Zorra taken January 1852, Alanson is listed in Division #1 page #8 as follows Avery, Alanson age 60 farmer born United States, religion Wesleyan Methodist, wife Nancy born United States age 56, children Elisa L., born Canada age 13, Alanson, labourer age 29, Orin age 24, labourer, William age 16, labourer and listed as a lunatic, and Daniel age 11. Alanson lived in a frame house. There was a female death in family in the past year, but it is not known whom it was. The James Moore family was listed next in the census. The Moores, a second generation Loyalist family had come from Long Reach area of King's County New Brunswick to Zorra in 1844, (see Alanson's daughter, Catharine Avery.)
In November of 1850 Alanson's son, Silas purchased part of Lot 1 Concession 4 West Zorra, the North 25 acres of the West ½ for 50 pounds. Alanson purchased this property from Silas in April 1856 again for 50 Pounds with his son Orin Avery acting as a witness to the memorial (of the transaction for registration purposes).
Silas moved to Ingersoll for a short time and then moved to Brantford Township Brant County to farm on his father-in-laws's property.
In the 1850 and 60s voting for a public office in Ontario was not by secret ballot. A person (male only) in order to vote had to own property and appear on a voters list. His vote was recorded for all to know and now over 140 years later we know who our second great grandfather voted for.
It appears that Alanson's voting habits favoured the Reform candidate rather than the Tory establishment candidate. Perhaps this was a "throw back" to his days fighting the Tories in the War of 1812 or his father Frederick Avery's service with the "Patriots" during the "Troubles".
No doubt Alanson was sympathetic to the Reform cause of William Lyon McKenzie in the rebellion of 1837. At these elections the voters of Brock District were electing a member of Parliament of Upper Canada (seated at Toronto). The 1851 Pollbooks of the West Zorra Township recorded Alanson's voting as follows, Alanson, a yeoman (farmer), on the West ½ of Lot 2 Concession 4, voted for Hincks (the Reform Candidate who won). In 1854 election on 3 December 1854, Alanson living on Lot 2 Concession 4 again voted for Hincks (results, Vansittart 139,(Tory) Hincks 139 (Reform). In the 1857 election Alanson living on Lot 1 Concession 3 and his son Orin living on Lot 2 Concession 4 both voted for Brown (results Matheson 269, Brown 190, Miller 42). In the 1858 election Orin living on North 1/4 of Lot 2 Concession 4 and Alanson living on West ½ of Lot 2 Concession 4, both voted for McDougall.
In the 1861 election Orin, living as a tenant on Lot 2 Concession 4 and Alanson living on East ½ of Lot 1 Concession 3, both voted for William McDougall rather than Isaac Buchanan.
In the 1863 election in West Zorra, Orin Avery, farmer on the West ½ of East ½ of Lot 10 Concession 2, Daniel Avery, occupant on Lot 2 Concession 4 and Alanson Avery on Lot 2 Concession 4, all voted for Hope F. McKenzie vs John Barwick.
In the 1861 West Zorra Township Census, taken in April 1861, Alanson is listed in District #2, page #8 as follows Alanson Avery born US, religion Wesleyan Methodist, age 69 living in a one family log house, Nancy Avery born US age 63, Children Eliza age 22, Daniel age 19. Living with Alanson and Nancy were Eliza J. Avery age 11 and Joseph Avery age 15, both born Upper Canada and Baptists. They were not members of the family but to date the relationship of these children to Alanson has not been ascertained and no other record of Joseph Avery has been found. (1871 census index checked) . I now wonder (May 2003) if Eliza and Joseph Avery might be the children of John Avery ( Eldest son of Nancy and Catharine). John has not been found in 1851 census so we do not know if he married before that date, had children and "lost" wife by 1861. Maybe both Eliza and Joseph went to Michigan tho they did not seem to be in any family references in Sanilac County.
The 1861 agricultural census which was taken at the same time as the regular census listed Alanson Avery on Lot 1 Concession 3, with 120 acres, 40 acres under cultivation, 33 acres under crop in 1860, 6 acres under pasture in 1860, 1 acre orchard, 80 acres of woods, and the value of farm at $3000.
In the same census his son Orin was shown on the home farm, the West ½ Lot 2 Concession 4, 100 acres in total with 70 acres under cultivation. Value of that farm was also $3000.
Both Alanson and Nancy could read and write. Alanson was a strong supporter and worked to obtain the establishment of a public school near the Zorra Townline (Reference Crawford diaries).
In December 1864 Alanson purchased a house lot in the hamlet of Beachville (Lot #28 North of Church Street, being part of Lot 8 in the Broken Front Concession of the Township of North Oxford, apparently for his daughter Catherine and her husband Robert Moore. As the price of the lot was $150, it is believed that Robert Moore must have built a house on the lot as several of Robert's children were born in Beachville. Whether Alanson provided the property for his daughter or whether it was in his name only to protect his son-in-law Robert (who was a carpenter and builder) against potential law suits etc is not known. Catherine always spoke highly of her father, with just cause. The Moores lived on Church Street in Beachville until they moved to Gladwin Michigan in August 1879.
In February 1868 Alanson purchased Lot 10 Inkerman Street in Ingersoll from his daughter Eliza Stevens and her husband Lemeul. It is likely he and his wife Nancy along with son Daniel and his family moved to 10 South Inkerman Street Ingersoll at that time. Alanson was by then 76 years old and was much too old for active farm work ! Ten Inkerman Street was a small frame house which in April 2001 probably looked much the same (other than new siding) that it had looked like in the 1870's. (The house at the south east corner of Inkerman and George Street is now numbered off George Street)
In 1871 Ingersoll election, Alanson Avery as the owner of 10 Inkerman Street voted for Adam Oliver who won with 104 vs Stephen Richards, 49. In 1874, Alanson Avery still living at Ten Inkerman Street was listed on Ingersoll Village polling list was but there are no records of the vote.
The 1871 Ingersoll Village Census listed Alanson in Division number 2, Dwelling number 82, Family number 93 on page 25 of census (page 2 & 3 of index) Alanson Avery age 78, born US, Episcopal Methodist, married, occupation farmer, Nancy Avery age 73, born US (German origin), (actually mostly Dutch). Living in the same house with Alanson was his son Daniel Avery, occupation farmer, religion Episcopal Methodist, age 30, his wife Mary age 24 and their daughter Alice Maud age 2.
An Eliza (last name U/K) age 20 and single was also listed and was likely the same Eliza Avery that was living with Alanson at the time of the 1861 census. She was not a member of the family.
In the 1875 Oxford County Atlas, a Thomas Edwards, Postal address Embro (Oxford County) was shown as a tenant on Alanson's home property in Zorra. The 1875 West Zorra Township assessment rolls shows Alanson Avery as number 261 on the roll and as a non resident of the township (as he was living in Ingersoll), member of Episcopal (Methodist) church, resides in Ingersoll,School Section #5, Owns property #1. West ½ Lot 2 Concession 4 West Zorra Township. Thomas Edwards, tenant age 41, 100 acres, 70 cleared value $6000; Owns property #2. North West 1/8 Lot 1 Concession 4 25 acres, 20 cleared value $1400 ; Owns property #3. Part of Lot #1 Concession #3 120 acres, 30 cleared Value $4000 Total $11,400 Personal property $500 Total $11900, 25 cattle, 3 hogs, 4 horses. Alanson was regarded as a most successful farmer. Sometime after his wife Nancy's death in April 1874, Alanson went to live with his daughter Mary Jane McKellar at her home in North Oxford Township. He sold the house at Ten Inkerman Street back to his daughter Eliza Stevens in 1879.
World events shaped the economic, social and private lives of all Ontario residents and Alanson's life was no exception. The strong demand for new land in Ontario in the 1820-1840's drove up the price of farm land and the coming of the railroads in the 50's gave the farmers a easier method of selling their produce, chiefly wheat to Great Britain. The boom of the early 1850's brought on by the Crimean War was short lived and followed by a great depression at the end of the 50's when the war was over. The "killer" frost of July 1858 which destroyed much of the crops certainly increased hardship throughout the county. This depression was short lived as the demand for agricultural goods sharply rose in the 1860's because of the American Civil War. However the decade of the 1870's saw a major depression in Oxford County as the United States was again self sufficient and took over many of the markets which Canada had supplied prior to the war. The result was again a large drop in the price of farm and manufactured good in Ontario with the inevitable high unemployment in both urban and rural areas and many mortgage foreclosures on the farm front . The poverty spawned by the 70's depression was the stimulus for the large migration of Ontario residents to Michigan and mid western United States. It is said that Oxford County lost 30% of its population during that decade.
Little wonder most of the Avery children left Oxford County. None of Alanson's children remained on his farm land, although Mary Jane McKellar and her husband Archibald farmed just north of Ingersoll. Alanson's eldest son John. after labouring for more than 30 years in Oxford moved to a farm of his own in Sanilac Township Sanilac County Michigan in 1872. Son, Alanson Jr, probably left shortly after the 1851 census. In the 1860's he was serving in the Union Army in the American Civil War and after the war took up farm land in Greenwood County Kansas.
Son, Silas, moved to Brantford Township Brant County Ontario about 1860 to property owned by his wife's family, the Molaskeys. Cornelius left home before 1851 and lived in the St. Marys area of Perth County Ontario where he died in December 1861. His widow Eleanor Avery married Jeremiah Williams in August 1864 and they too soon moved to Michigan. Son Orin gave up on Ontario shortly after 1865 and by 1867 when he was living in Lexington Township Sanilac County. Daughter Catherine and her husband Robert Moore moved to Gladwin County Michigan in August 1879 where he continued farming and barn building. They were the last of Alanson's children to leave Oxford County. Son Henry was also away from Oxford County before 1851, marrying in 1854 and farming in Warwick Township Lambton County Ontario before moving to Sanilac County in 1872. Daughter Eliza Avery and husband Lemuel Stevens were in Saginaw Michigan by 1881 if not by 1871 as they were not listed in the 1871 census of Ingersoll Village.
Son Daniel also went to Sanilac County and was there by November 1872 farming in Worth Township. Thus when Alanson died on 21 March 1880 the only one of his children that remained in Oxford County was his daughter Mary Jane McKellar, living on Lot 14 Concession 3 North Oxford Township Oxford County Ontario.
Alanson had gone to live with Mary Jane after his wife Nancy had died in April 1874. Alanson's VRO number was 12139/80. The funeral was held on Wednesday 22 March 1880 at one o'clock and he was buried in Ingersoll Rural Cemetery with his wife Nancy
Alanson's funeral notice read as follows,
AVERY In North Oxford March 21 Mr. Alanson Avery aged 88 years
Will take place from the residence of his son-in-law Mr. Archibald McKellar Lot 14 Concession 3 North Oxford on Wednesday afternoon 24th instant at One o'clock
Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend North Oxford March 22 1880
In May 1879, Alanson gave a deed of trust to his sons Silas Wood Avery of the Township of Brantford, Orin Avery of Sanilac County and his son-in-law Archibald McKellar of the Township of North Oxford (Consideration $1) for his property being
(a) West ½ of Lot 2 Concession 4 West Zorra 100 acres
(b) North 1/4 of the West ½ of Lot 1 Concession 4 West Zorra 25 acres
(c) East 120 acres of Lot 1 Concession 3 West Zorra
(d) Lot 28 North of Church Street in Beachville. (His daughter Catherine and her husband Robert had moved that summer to Gladwin Township, Gladwin County Michigan).
The properties totaled about 245 acres without the Beachville house and lot. The Trustees were to sell the properties by any means after his death. The proceeds after the deduction of 5% for the Grantees (Silas, Orin and Archibald McKellar) for their time and trouble etc., were to be divided into 10 lots after adding $500, the value that Alanson placed on property in Ingersoll conveyed by him to his daughter Eliza Stevens. Equal shares of the proceeds were to given to his children, John Avery, Alanson Avery (Jr.), Silas Wood Avery, Orin Avery, Henry Avery, Daniel Avery, Mary Jane McKellar, Catherine Moore, Eliza Stevens (after deducting from her share, $500 being the value of the Lot that Alanson had conveyed to her) and the daughters of his deceased son Cornelius Avery (one share between them). His daughters and grand daughters were to have their share of the money without control of their husbands. Alanson (age 87) signed the deed by "X" although previously he had been able to sign his name.
Because of the depressed times throughout Ontario, the farms (245 acres) were advertised commencing in January 1881 in the Woodstock Sentinel Newspaper for a year before they were sold by the executors in January 1883 for $10,000. The Beachville lot was sold separately.
The sale advertisement read as follows"The following valuable farms are now offered for sale, Family farm known as the Avery Homestead 125 acres Lot 2 Concession 4 Zorra and 25 acres on the north side of Lot 1 Concession 4.On the farm are 2 orchards and suitable buildings and land in a high state of cultivation. One of the best dairy farms in the County of Oxford and is 4 miles from Ingersoll, 5 miles from Embro and 3 miles from Beachville"
KNOWN DESCENDANTS OF ALANSON AND NANCY AVERY
as of April 2005CHILD Grandchild Gr. Grandchild Secd Gr. Grandch Total Generation #2 Generation #3 Generation #4 Generation #5 Eliza 0 1 John 2 0 3 Alanson 0 1 Silas Wood 8 16 23+ 48 Mary Jane McKellar 7 1 known u/k 9 Cornelius 3 10 17 31 Orin 2 3 7 13 Catherine Moore 11 28 53 93 Charles Henry 13 24 20+ 58+ Thomas 0 1 William 0 1 Eliza Stevens 3 5+ 9 Daniel Stoddard 2 3 4 10 --- ---- ------ ----- TOTALS 13 51 93+ 124+ 281+
Back to Eglin Family Table of Contents
Last Updated: Wednesday, 14-May-2008 13:18:46 PDT
Copyright © 2003-2006: Robert Moore