Hamilton county residents and natives appearing in various local history books around the nation.
C. P. Soper, M. D.
Soper, C.P., M.D., of Spirit Lake, Dickinson county, was born in Warren county, New York, July 7, 1861. His birthplace was near the romantic and beautiful Lake George. In his veins flows Scotch and American blood. His father was extensively engaged in the lumber business and for twenty-two years had full charge of driving logs down the Hudson in the Adirondack region. He was a loving father, an affectionate husband and a thorough Christian gentleman. He died May 12, 1896. His wife survived him and is now living at the age of seventy-six years, a strong and hearty woman. Dr. Soper has none but the most pleasant and loving recollections of his parents and his home life. His mother was always able to preserve her and was never known to utter a cross word. The Soper family came to America from Scotland in 1800. As far back as she can trace, his mother is an American. The doctor attended the district school until he was fifteen years of age. He then entered Warrensburg Academy, where he pursued a two-years' course. By this time a hunger for education was created and young Soper determined not to stop short. His father was not able to send him to college. He taught school for three years, when with the assistance of his father, he had on hand the funds sufficient to take a four years' course in Dartmouth Medical College, Hanover, New Hampshire, from which he was graduated in 1882. His first professional fee was earned by bandaging the injured ankle of an old Indian in the Adirondack Mountains, at Indian Lake, New York, where he began the practice of medicine. Not satisfied with the location he determined to go west. The field was more inviting. He located in Prairiesburg, Iowa, in 1884. From Prairiesburg he removed to Larchwood where he continued until 1889, when he removed to Spirit Lake, his present location. He enjoys a large and lucrative practice. The number of patients is large and the uncollectable fees small. Besides attending faithfully to a large general practice, he has given particular attention to gynecological surgery, in which he has been very successful. Every surgeon may be a physician, but every physician cannot be a surgeon. To be a successful surgeon one must be fitted by organization and by learning. Dr. Soper possesses this fitness in an eminent degree. He has a natural taste for surgery which has been developed by experience and study. His self-control and nerve during an operation are perfect. It is safe to predict that Dr. C.P. Soper will yet be classed among Iowa's greatest physicians and surgeons. In politics he is a republican, in fraternity a Mason of high degree and a shriner, an Odd Fellow and a member of the Iowa Legion of Honor. September 17, 1885, he was married to Miss Viola E. McConkie. Of a family of three, Harry D., aged fourteen, and Blanche M., aged nine years, are living.
Source:Shambaugh, Benjamin F., Ph. D. "Biographies and Portraits of the Progressive Men of Iowa." Volume 11. ©1899. Des Moins. Conway & Shaw, Publishers. pp. 399 & 400
Darius B. Squires
Darius B. Squires, Justice of the Peace and conveyancer, of Schroon Lake, a village in Essex County, N.Y., was born in the town of Schroon, April 30, 1839, son of Darius and Susan (Seaman) Squires.
His great-grandfather emigrated from England many years ago and settled in Vermont. He had three sons - Darius, Sr.; Handy; and Abner. Handy settled in Ohio, Abner in New Hampshire; and Darius Sr., grandfather of the subject of this sketch, settled in Schroon in 1821. He was a shoemaker by trade, an occupation which, like many others in the early half of the century, he followed in connection with farming; and he became a very prosperous man, owning two good farms in Schroon. He resided upon Charley Hill in that town for many years, but died in Vermont at the age of sisty-five. He was considered an eccentric man, being an original thinker and argumentative. He was a Baptist in his religious views and very contientious. He married Martha Lyman, of Hague, Warren County, N.Y., and reared a family of nine children, all of whom have passed from earth. Mrs. Martha L. Squires survived her husband several years.
Darius Squires, son of Darius, Sr., and Martha, was born in Orwell, Vt., in 1815. He moved with his parents from Vermont to Essex County, N.Y., and settled upon Charley Hill in Schroon, where he followed agricultural pursuits with energy and success. He married Susan Seaman, a native of Connecticut, daughter of Bartlett Seaman; and they became the parents of six children, as follows: Darius B., of Schroon Lake; Helen, who married Charles A. Burzee, and died in 1893, leaving two children; Milo S., of Kansas City, Kan.; Fred H., who resides at the homestead in Schroon; Carson C., a resident of Schroon; and Louisa, who died at the age of nine years. The father died in 1891; and the mother, who is now seventy-two, is residing at the home farm on Charley Hill.
Darius B. Squires attended the common schools of his native town, and resided at home, assisting in the farm duties until he reached the age of twenty years. He then bought his time and engaged in farming and lumbering for some fifteen years, when he relinquished those occupations and moved to Long Lake, Hamilton County, where he became prominent in public affairs and was for nine years busily employed in official positions. He served with ability as Inspector of Elections, Overseer of the Poor, Assessor and Collector, Constable, Highway Commissioner, and Justice of the Peace; and, while a resident there, he acted as Trustee, class leader, and superintendent of the Sunday-school of the Wesleyan Methodist Church. Since his return to Schroon he has been called to serve as Inspector of Elections, Constable, Chairman of the Town Committee, Justice of Sessions, and Justice of the Peace. He is now conducting a profitable legal business, in which he has become proficient through his own exertions and natural capacity for study. He occupies a comfortable and pleasant residence, which he built in 1878; and he is the owner of a large law library.
On November 10, 1863, Mr. Squires was married to Phoebe E. Catlin, of Ticonderoga, daughter of Daniel B. Catlin, a prosperous farmer of that town. Mr. Catlin was the father of three children, two of whom are living, namely: Mrs. Squires; and Mrs. Laura Cole, of Long Lake. He survived his wife some years, and died at the age of eighty-nine.
Mr. and Mrs. Squires have had three children, and have been called to part with two, as follows: Anna, who died at the age of nine years; and Frances, who married Cyrus Warren, a mechanic of Schroon, and died March 12, 1894, aged twenty-seven years. The surviving daughter, Alida E., married Leon Murdock, of Schroon, and has two children.
Mr. Squires is an active supporter of the Republican party. He has been a delegate to the State convention and twice to the county conventions, and is now a School Trustee. He is attendant of the Episcopal church, in which he has been a vestryman and superintendent of the Sunday-school.
Source: Biographical Review. Leading Citizens of Clinton and Essex Counties New York. ©1896. Boston. Biographical Review Publishing Company. PP. 349 - 351
Also from "The History of Hamilton County," Ted Aber & Stella King; ©1965 Great Wilderness Books, Lake Pleasant, NY:
pg. 764 (Long Lake)
"8 March 1869 - Darius B. Squire received his log mark - a disjointed cross on its side enclosed in a circle."
"Others who moved to Long Lake in the 1860's were......Darius B. Squire......."
George Hornell Thacher
GEORGE HORNELL THACHER
Vice-president of the Albany City Savings Bank was born in Albany, November 20, 1851, the son of George Hornell and Ursula Jane (Boyd) Thacher. Mr. Thacher was educated in Professor Whit beck's private school and Williams College, class of 1872.Later he took a short business course in Bryant and Stratton's Commercial College. Mr. Thacher then entered his father's car wheel works and rose from apprentice to the foremanship of the plant. In 1880 he went to Colorado and for three years was engaged there in the mining business. In October 1883, Mr. Thacher became business partner with his father under the firm name of George H. Thacher and Company. After the death of his father in 1887, Mr. Thacher continued the business with his brother, John Boyd Thacher, and became sole proprietor upon the latter's death in 1909. In 1887, Mr. Thacher became a director of the old Albany City National Bank, was made vice-president in 1889, and was its third and last president. He is now a director of the National Commercial Bank and Trust Company of Albany; a member of the Fort Orange, Canoe, Camera and Country Clubs, and a thirty-second degree Mason. Mr. Thacher served Albany on the board of water commissioners, 1892-94. He married Emma Louise Bennett of Albany, January 1, 1880. His home address is 111 Washington Avenue, Albany.
JOHN BOYD THACHER, 2nd.
City treasurer of Albany, was born in Leadville, Colorado, October 26, 1882, the son of George Hornell and Emma Louise (Bennett) Thacher. He was educated in the Albany Boys' Academy, Princeton University, A.B., 1904; Union University, LL.B.,1906. Mr. Thacher is a lawyer with offices at 193 State Street, Albany. He specializes in real estate law and is attorney for several large corporations. He was deputy Attorney General of the State under Attorney-General Thomas Carmody. During the World War he was attached to the French army on the Lorraine from June 1918, to January 1919. Mr. Thacher is well known as a writer and public speaker and is deeply interested in Americanization matters. His grandfather, George H. Thacher, was four times mayor of Albany, while his uncle, John Boyd Thatcher, served twice as mayor and was a State senator. Mr. Thatcher is a member of the Princeton Club of New York, Albany Academy, Union University and Princeton University Alumnae Associations; Albany County, New York State and American Bar Associations; Albany Chamber of Commerce; Albany Lodge of Elks; Loyal Order of Moose, and is past master of Masters' Lodge, 5, F. & A. M. Mr. Thacher married Lulu C. Cameron, June 17, 1918. Their home is at 111 Washington Avenue, Albany, and they have a summer residence at Blue Mountain Lake, Hamilton County, New York.
THOMAS OXENBRIDGE THACHER
Originator of the Thacher process of casting ship propellers was born in Albany, March 22, 1884, son of Mr. and Mrs. George H. Thacher. He was educated at the Albany Boys' Academy and Princeton University. He is director of the Thacher Propeller and Foundry Corporation of Albany. The propeller casting process originated by Mr. Thacher has been adopted by the U. S. naval authorities and several of the great commercial ship lines of the United States and Great Britain. It is patented in all the leading countries of the world. Mr. Thacher is a Democrat in politics and was his party's candidate for State senator in Albany County in 1910. The manufacturing works which he directs was an official plant of the United States Government during the World War. He is a member of the University Club of Albany and of Masters' Lodge, F. & A. M. Mr. Thacher married Helen LaVie, June 2, 1909. His home address is 352 State Street. Albany.
SOURCE: PROMINENT PEOPLE of the CAPITAL DISTRICT. Compiled, Edited and Published by the FORT ORANGE RECORDING BUREAU, INC. ALBANY, N.Y., Leo Leberthon, President, James Healey, Treasurer, W. B. Osborne, Editor and Secretary
Alfred B. Washburn
Eliphalet Washburn was born in Hardwick, Mass., in June 1799, where he resided until about 18 years of age, when his father, Rufus Washburn, with his family, emigrated westward, and became one of the pioneer settlers in the town of Hope, Hamilton county, N.Y. Here Eliphalet in the course of time married Parmelia, a daughter of William Hall of that place, by whom he had eight children, viz: William, Lucy, Maria, Reuel, Alfred B., Catharine M., Calvin and Mary.
Alfred B. Washburn was born in the town of Hope (now Benson), Hamilton county, New York, August 19th 1934, where his minority was passed with his father's family, the youth receiving such education as the advantages of a country district school afforded. In the spring of 1856 he parted with home and friends and went to Minnesota, where he worked by the month for a short time. In the following autumn he went to Winona City, where, with a cash capital of only $40, but an abundance of energy and enterprise, he formed a co-partnership with a Mr. Sherman from Connecticut, purchased the furniture and lease of a hotel, and at once began hotel keeping. This, his first business venture, proved very successful. At the end of three years he became sole proprietor, continuing the business alone for nearly two years, when his building was destroyed by fire, together with a large portion of the city. He was next engaged in buying wheat from wagons and shipping east, Winona City being at that time the principal wheat market for a large section of country. After an absence of nine years he returned to his native State, and located in the grocery and provision trade.
In 1872 he purchased a location on Main Street, erected a frame building for his accommodation, and thither moved his stock. Here he again suffered a heavy loss by fire in June, 1877. But, nothing daunted, he at once commenced the erection of a fine three-story brick block, which was completed in December following. The structure, which is 40 by 70 feet in size, contains two high and airy basements, the rear of which is entirely above ground. On the first floor are two large, light and convenient stores, finished off in ash and black walnut, with all the necessary conveniences; the second floor is divided into light , high and roomy offices; on the third floor is a spacious opera hall, finished in the most modern style, seated with chairs and lighted with gas, the gorgeous chandeliers and fixtures for which were made to order by Thackara, Buck & Co., of Philadelphia. The building is known as "Washburn's Opera House Block." Mr. Washburn now occupies the south store for his mercantile business. On the 12th of December 1859, Mr. Washburn united in marriage with Lucy A. Nation, a native of London, England, but at that time a resident of Winona county, Minn. This union has been blessed with seven children, to wit: Neoka, born in Minnesota, Sept. 20th, 1860; Lyona, born Dec. 10th, 1862, died Jan. 16th, 1863; Ettie A., born Jan. 25th, 1865; Walter E., born Dec. 16th, 1867; Alfred B., jr., born May 14th, 1870; Lura L., born Feb. 9th, 1872; Lena T., born June 7th, 1847.
Source: "1772 History of Montgomery and Fulton Counties, N.Y., with Illustrations Descriptive of Scenery, Private Residences, Public Buildings, Fine Blocks, and Important Manufactories, From original sketches by artists of the Highest Ability; Portraits of Old Pioneers and Prominent Residents," New York, F. W. Beers & Co., 1878, pg 207
George B. Wayne
Wayne, George B., Johnstown, was born in the town of Broadalbin, January 24, 1857, and was educated in the public schools and Amsterdam Academy. He remained with his father on the farm until twenty-one years of age, and then came to Johnstown, where he bought out the business of Captain Thomas Wayne, who served three years in the great rebellion, the only brother of his father. November 15, 1888, he married Lydia, second daughter of Aaron and Mary Pepper, of Fort Johnson, Montgomery county. Mr. Wayne's father, John, was born at Lake Pleasant, Hamilton county, January 13, 1828, where his parents resided until he was five years old. After being educated in the public schools, he learned the trade of making woolen cloth at North Broadalbin in the mill known as the Culbert Raddish mill. In 1849 he married Angeline Brower, of Fulton county, by whom he had ten children: Elizabeth, Anna, Francis, George B., Catherine, Ida, Alice, Beatrice, Archibald and Grace. Then he took up the industry of farming at Charlton, Saratoga county, afterwards removing to Orleans county. He remained there three years, then returned to Gloversville, where he continued farming and manufacturing gloves and mittens. In 1869 he purchased the farm known as the Ors Banta farm in the town of Broadalbin, where he still resides, the house being the first brick structure built in that town. Thomas Wayne was grandfather of George B., and was born in Brassington, England, April 10, 1879[sic]. He came to America in 1819, and first settled in Johnstown, in July, 1824. He moved to Elm Lake, Saratoga county, on the Rylander farm, and in 1828 bought two farms between Lake Pleasant and Round Lake, where he lived seven years. He also bought land at Piseco Lake, and built the first saw-mill that was erected in Hamilton county. He afterwards bought a farm at North Broadalbin, where he died in 1865. The archway, leading to the old homestead in Brassington, England, still stands, on which is inscribed, "George Wayne, 1402."
"History of Fulton County," by Washington Frothington, D. Mason & Co., printers and publishers, Syracuse, NY, ©1892
Nathaniel Wood, Jr., only son of Nathaniel Wood, was born in Hartford, Connecticut, descendant of an old Connecticut family. He married Electra Caswell. He was a farmer. In religion he was a Universalist, and in his later years a Republican in politics. Children: Jabez Clark, John Caswell (see forward), Clarissa, Philena, Ruhama.
(II) John Caswell, son of Nathaniel (2) Wood, was born at West Turin, New York, 1827, died March 14, 1879. He was a farmer in his native town. In politics he was a Republican. He married Evelina, who died June 17, 1894, daughter of Newton and Elizabeth (Cone) Clark. Her father was a soldier in the war of 1812. He came from Hartford, Connecticut, to northern New York, with his family in an ox-cart in 1805, bringing one cow, and settled in West Turin, where he lived the rest of his life. He was born in 1791 and lived to the great age of ninety-two years. His children: Lucina, Alvin, Clarissa, Maria, Evelina (wife of John Caswell Wood), Lorenzo, Ordelia, Philo, Franklin. Children of John Caswell Wood: Newton, born at Copenhagen, 1857; died March 9, 1878. 2. Philo C., mentioned below. 3. Emma F., born at Turin, March, 1865.
(III) Philo C. Wood, son of John Caswell Wood, was born September 1, 1862, at Turin, Lewis county, New York. He attended the public schools of his native town. He began his business career as a merchant and painter. In 1898 he became clerk in the Fred Hess Hotel at Inlet, New York. From 1900 to 1903 he was proprietor of the Glenmore Hotel at Big Moose. During the next five years he conducted the Old Forge House at Old Forge. In 1906 he bought the hotel known as Hess Camp, at Inlet, New York, and in 1908 moved into the house, enlarging it, refurnishing it and equipping it with modern lighting, heating, rendering it first-class in every respect. The hotel has been an attractive and popular resort since then. In politics Mr. Wood is a Republican. He is a member of North Woods Lodge of Free Masons, No. 849, and has been secretary for two years. He is a member of the Fulton Yacht Association. His family attends the Presbyterian church.
Philo C. Wood married, in 1883, at Highmarket, New York, Ella M. Plummer, born in 1862, daughter of George and Mary (Sheppard) Plummer; She died November 4, 1894. He married (second), in 1900, at Port Leyden, New York, Elizabeth, daughter of George and Eliza (Williams) Wellington. Children: Charles N., born December 20, 1891, graduate of Holland Patent Conservatory of Music, Utica; Frances M., July 19, 1894. Children of second wife: Madeline E., born June 24, 1903; Marjorie E., September 11, 1908.
Source: "Genealogical and Family History of Northern New York; A Record of the Achievements of her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Founding of a Nation," compiled by William Richard Cutter, A. M., Vol 1, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, New York, ©1910, page 1153
On to Part 4
Last Updated: Wednesday, 14-May-2008 13:18:29 PDT
Copyright © 2003: Joanne Murray / Elaine Scantlebury
Copyright © 2003: Annie Weaver / Lisa K. Slaski